Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Morning Pages #1 online

So part of writing for scripts and blah blah blah is that a good way ot start brainstorming is to write "morning pages". Which is just some writing, asking yourself questions. Something that's helped is when I've asked myself questions to pull out what's in my mind. To eventually write from a place of honesty and what I know about. Vs. staring at a blank page for too long.

So...
Q: Dan, what do you think is important about money? Do you want lots of it?

A: Whew, well that's the question of a lifetime Dan. Thanks for getting to the heart of the matter. Hmmm, I don't think I've ever been taught about money or success or any of the above. When I grew up I never really thought I needed it. I wanted to grow up to be almost a bum. And live on the skirts of normalcy, perhaps a bum moving from place to place. I remember telling people that in high school. I wanted to live in Colorado in a van and wait tables. And live off the money that I earned and ski.

I think I've had that dream for quite some time, just in a different form and fashion. I think I want the freedom to create, to write and dream and not worry about jobs. I don't think I've ever had good luck with pursuing money for moneys sake. Still today when I look for work, it's the worst experience I've ever had applying to places that you know the second you leave they'll throw your resume right in the trash, or at least metaphorically.

I think my brain wasn't made to think about money. My mind is very abstract. I think I was meant to be a creative. Whether it be an actor, writer, painter, speaker, comedian. I'm a brainstormer. I'm never really focused on the final product just the having fun in the creative process.

Now that's never a formula for success, and by that I mean a formula for money. So maybe I should focus on money. Or I should focus on producing.

As for money itself, I think I want a great place to have kids and live with my future wife Lynn. A place to invite people and laugh, eat great food that Lynn's experimented with. Kids running around with crayons and curly hair.

Sometimes to make that happen, money has to come. It's a strange world for a creative person. I don't think it was made for us to really survive well.

(Well God, I'd love to spend some time thinking about these things with you. I pray that you speak to me about these issues. I love you and try to do good things for you and my life. )

No comments: